Friday, June 29, 2007

Other library mishaps

I mentioned in the "emergency" post about other library incidents that have put Max and I on a particular librarian's Watch List.

First, let me say that our library has an entire wing dedicated to little kids -- this is not the NY Public Library in all of is austerity. There is a puppet show theater, animal-print rubber mats for story time, kid-level book bins, stuffed toys, etc. Second, there are two kid-area librarians: the nice older lady (who has children of her own) and the young bitchy zealot (obviously, no kids). The older lady is patient, loves the little ones, doesn't mind if they crawl around during the stories, sits on the floor with them, etc. The young one insists on kids IN LAPS during stories, sits on a chair above them, tells parents to leave the room if their child fusses, etc. I think you get the picture.

I've tried to schedule our library visits around when the older lady is working, but they seem to have random story time duties.

Anyhoo, the first incident involved me taking a few digital pictures with my camera during story time (holding the camera at arm's length, taking pix of Max clapping to a song while sitting on my lap). She (the young zealot) stopped the song and asked me to stop taking pictures. "Sure, no problem," I said. Afterwards, she tracked me down in the library to let me know there were federal privacy laws governing taking photographs on library property. I've never heard of such, but if it's true (anybody out there know about this?) I'm cool with it. However, there is no sign anywhere saying that photography is not allowed in the library.

The second incident, which is so much less forgivable, involved Max directly. He was watching some older kids doing a puppet show (with me sitting two feet away) and got overly excited, flipping himself over backwards and hitting his head on the floor. He started crying...I picked him up and started walking out of the library to calm him down. As I walked by the librarian desk (in the KIDS area), the young librarian shushed us and said "quiet in the library!" Rrrright. For the rest of day, I hoped some little kid would throw up on her shoes.

I'm thinking the "adult non-fiction" stacks might be a better fit for her. Ya think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we can do the ol herrera approach.. we can get further with a smile and a bat.. then just a smile. I will be taking max to story time and we will see if we get a fuss then.. If she does have the stones to say something... I will tell her that i pay for her salary with my tax money and to keep her mouth shut and fetch me and my son some water... Dont worry mom.. Dad is on it...

-Daddy H

LaDawn said...

Go Daddy H Go! He's a hero!

The young librarian is a disgrace to her profession! You should track down her supervisor and give her some "feedback".

JMarie said...

Thanks for the support, guys. :-)

Janell said...

In addition to the vomit on the shoes, I hope someone left an especially smelly diaper somehwere near her desk.
(Hello - I'm LaDawn's cousin-by -marriage once removed. I like your blog.)

stephanie said...

Janell,

Leah is my bestest friend. We were roommates in college. Just thought I would give you the background as how Leah is in the circle of bloggers. BTW, Joe is a friend of Leah's hubby. Joe and I are little Max's Godparents.

slw

Janell said...

Stephanie, thanks for the info. I love the picture here of you & Max.
JC

LaDawn said...

Leah - Come back to blogging. I am missing you and yours.

The Boss

The Boss