Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Falling, walking, swimming

I've been emailing with a friend and realized I should post some of the news we've been discussing. Here're some latest Casa Herrera tidbits...

Max fell down on the cement patio last week and cracked his head so hard he had a goose egg on the back of his head. Watching him do it was like a slow motion movie -- I can still see his noggin bouncing off the cement like a ball. The dull thud was sickening. It was his first real "injury" and he did one of those no-sound hold-your-breath screams (followed by actual screaming) for several minutes. It was kinda traumatic for all three of us -- but, he made it through and now is more careful about jetting around the patio.

However, the side-effect for me is everytime he takes a tumble now I gasp out loud and flinch. I'm trying not to do this.

Max has a "walker" thing that he can push around while he walks behind. When I want to really tire him out so he will take a good (hopefully extra long) nap, I make him walk with his walker all the way to the mailbox, which is about 1/3 block away. He thinks it is really fun, plus he is exhausted by the time we get home. Another tire-out activity is learning to climb up and down the stairs safely. I make him go all the way up (1st floor to 2nd floor), then back down facing the stairs. Down is not as fun.

Also, his first swim lesson was last Sunday. It is going to be a father-son activity for a couple of reasons. 1) I don't like the water much (it would be fine, except for the getting wet part) 2) daddy loves the water 3) Max and daddy have a great time doing it 4) I don't want to have to dunk him under water.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just realized a couple of things here.
1. While the activities tire him out, he is essentially "working out" and this will become easier and easier for him. You'll have to extend the distance to attain the same level of fatigue. But I love the idea. Can't wait to try it on Baby Joey / Jo-No / BJIII
2. Adrian likes the water because it reminds him of the best swim of his life across the Rio Grande.
3. You should get in the water, I want those bikini shots!

:-)

Anonymous said...

You will also be very proud of him once you see him progress in those swim classes.

LaDawn said...

Watch my blog fo the baby injury story....you've just inspired me to write!

Good for Daddy to have one-on-one time with baby. Mummys can be soooo over protective! This is when they learn all those stupid secret handshakes and sports talk and blah blah blah blah.

Anonymous said...

I do remember that swim... heck you were on it as well JJ. What a great day cinco de mayo

-Daddy H

The Boss

The Boss