Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jobzzzzzz

The matriarch of the Clare-Panton Family blog recently posted about the job from which she learned the most during her working life. Reading the post and thinking about my own life, the vivid tableaux that illuminated my mind were all the jobs that were totally ridiculous, not the ones I gained the most from professionally or intellectually. She suggested I post my thoughts about these lowly positions on my own blog instead of hers, thankyouverymuch. No riff-raff allowed on her blog, apparently. :-)

Like my very first job, at A&W Rootbeer in Louisville (sadly, it closed last year) when I was 14 years old, swaddled in skin-tight forest green doubleknit polyester. Within a month, I had flooded the dining room and nearly burned the place down...and I didn't get fired. I still have the faux driving cap thingy that was part of the uniform.

Or the waitressing gig at The Egg & I in Greeley during college, at which my shift began at 5 a.m., ended at 2 p.m. and I earned $2.13/hr. As I was a horrible waitress (who can remember eggs over-medium at 5 a.m.?), I didn't get many tips. In fact, I knew I wasn't cut out for waitresshood when people asking for things -- like a clean fork -- really pissed me off. This is the place where, one day, one of the cooks accidentally cut the finger off his rubber glove while making omelets and didn't notice for quite a while. By that time, there was no telling where that rubber finger had ended up. About an hour later, the police came by the restaurant because an old lady called them to report finding a "condom" in her eggs.

These are the jobs that stand out for me.

I'd love to read about your funniest jobzzz, so please post away!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All jobs stink.... But the one job that I learned the most all the jobs that I got fired from: Here is the list of jobs and I learned the same thing from each... First the list:

McDonalds
SSECO
Pat Catans
Sammy pizza parlour
Geisspesse pizza
bros cleaning service

(almost at IBM)

Here is what I learned. Everyone is replaceable and never ever ever be loyal to a company!!! (Write that down)

-Daddy H

JMarie said...

When I was about 13, I house-sat for a neighbor for about 2 weeks. Fed cats, watered plants, mowed the lawn, took out their cans on garbage day, etc. I was promised a handsome wage upon their return...they paid me 10 stinkin' dollars. I was too timid and shocked to say anything. Lesson: always negotiate terms before the job is done.

LaDawn said...

Great post and good lesson! Riff Raff may return to my blog now!

Anonymous said...

First Job was small business owner. I carried bags for people @ the westside market. I started @ 11 years old. Was making about $25 - $30 every saturday. Moved onto selling fruit for the Jocke Family until my freshman year in college.
My company/job list included:
Sears (lawn mower repair)
Bedford Hospital (PT orderly)
Mr. Steak (waiter/bus/dish)
Structure
Keybank
Officemax
GE
Motorola.
Never got fired, I imagine that would suck, but fired a few of my own along the way. FYI. Everyone is replacable @ MC D's and most pizza places.

Jo Jo

The Boss

The Boss